Siddha cave is the largest cave in Nepal with width of 10 meter and length almost half a kilometer. It was discovered sometime in 1980s. The cave gives a cathedral feel with walls of the cave gone rough with age. One gets astonished to see millions of bats in the cave flying across you and a few hanging upside, little afraid to see a strange face.
It along with Patale Dwar, makes for a scenic 3-4 hour trek if you are in Bandipur.
(Note: approximate location in the map.)
1. Local people are ready to guide with just couple of hundred rupees but make sure you take a trustworthy person.
2. From the cave, you have three options: one, journey backwards; two, go downhill for another half an hour until you hit Bimalnagar which is on the Prithvi highway and you will find yourself just couple of Kms from Dumre; and third, turn east and walk some distance towards called Patale dwar.
When to go
Avoid monsoons as the trek becomes slippery, leeches multiply in the forest area due to water accumulation, and bats cover the cave edge to edge.
Also, for the last few years, a festival is held at the cave every year, and is a good time visit this place.
How to reach
It takes around 2 hours to reach the cave from Bandipur. Walk towards the abandoned army camp on the northern side of the town. you will come across a dirt trek that continues to further north on the ridge. Hitting a very noticeable junction, turn your right and then turn left. You will find the trek declining, a star shaped stupa is your landmark.
The interesting part begins when you see your footsteps entering into a small but dense forest. Cross the forest and the cave lies right in fron of you.
1. Carry a torch and extra batteries, little salt in case leeches find your blood tasty, water as you will not come across any shop or drinking water resource on the way, and a first aid kit.
2. Try hiring a guide, it is easy to become lost here.
1. Do not plan your trek late in the evening and try returning before the twilight as the forest becomes unsafe and bats become active.
We hope that we have been of help in finding the required info for Siddha Gufa.
Do allow us to help you find the cheapest hotel or flight for your visit!